We Help Ensure Medications are Managed Safely
Aging Solutions provides medication management and oversight for your aging or disabled relative so that you can rest assured that they are getting the medication they need.
Our Medication Management Services Include:
• We verify which medications our clients are prescribed and then check to make sure that they are being taken according to doctor’s orders.
• We also determine whether or not our client is able to manage their own medications safely (without risk of over or under dosing).
• If a client can manage their medication safely, we monitor this aspect of their care as needed.
• If a client cannot manage their medications safely, we create a way for them to receive their medications, as prescribed, safely, and we monitor the process.
According to the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists:
• On average, individuals 65 to 69 years old take nearly 14 prescriptions per year, and individuals aged 80 to 84 take an average of 18 prescriptions per year.
• Adverse drug reactions are among the top five greatest threats to the health of seniors.
• 28% of hospitalizations among seniors are due to adverse drug reactions.
• 32,000 seniors suffer hip fractures each year due to falls caused by medication-related problems.
• The elderly account for 12.9% of the U.S. population, but consume approximately 34% of total prescriptions.
Alcohol Use and Prescription Drugs
Understanding the choices and lifestyles of different generations is one of our areas of expertise. Older clients are often accustomed to integrating wine and cocktails into their daily lives. Nevertheless, we have the experience to identify and deal with the safety issues that may sometimes accompany these lifestyle choices.
The older a client is, the more likely they are to have health issues that may require the use of pain medications. We work closely with our clients’ medical teams to ensure that the correct pain protocols are in place to minimize harmful interactions and dangerous results.
For example, if we have a client whose lifestyle includes drinking alcohol while taking prescribed medications that may create an additional risk of falling, we will find the right approach to deal directly with our client about such concerns. We will not take someone out of their home and place them into a recovery center because of what we are observing. Rather, we will work very closely with our client and with great care to determine how we may best keep them safe within their lifestyle choices and cultural orientation.
If you are concerned about an elder in your life who may need help with medication management, please call Aging Solutions for a free consultation: 415.324.5088.